Welding is one of the most common method of joining metal parts. Heat is applied to the pieces to be joined, melting and fusing them to form a permanent bond. Welding is a precise, reliable, cost-effective and high-tech method for joining materials. No other technique is as widely used by manufacturers to join metals and alloys efficiently and to add value to their products.Welding is a regular process in any engineering industry. Many people think that welding is just putting two pieces of metal together, but there is a lot more analysis put into welding engineering. It requires high amount of skill, patience and commitment to accomplish a good weldment.
- Welding is a very diverse trade; there are more than 80 processes with all kinds of conditions, from working in an air-conditioned shop to working in the air or even on the ocean floor. Welding fabrication has grown rapidly because of its speed and economy. The major industrial groups that represent the welding industry use welding extensively but in different ways under different working conditions on different metals and according to different codes and specifications. Welding has made a significant impact on quite a large number of major industries, by raising the operational efficiency, productivity and service life of the plant and equipment involved. A few of them which are highly relevant to India are listed below.
- Field-erected vertical storage tanks
- Pressure vessels
- Piping and pipelines
- Power generating plant
- Chemical plant
- Machinery construction
- Oil refineries Welding touches nearly every aspect of our lives. We don’t leave our homes without using some sort of transportation. Welding is very important to our economy.
Importance of welding
Welding is both an art and a technology requiring the skillful manipulation of the weld pool and a thorough knowledge of welding processes and the characteristics of the type of material being used. The reliability and safety of many products depends on the integrity of welding and joining.
We can assume that in the 21st century continued widespread use of welding technology and ever – increasing global competition will create new challenges for employers and welding professionals.So welding professionals will need to be better educated to fill new job categories and be more flexible so they can respond to the changing knowledge and skill requirements of existing jobs.Welding professionals include welders, supervisors, educators, inspectors and engineers.
Workers who do the actual welding have usually learned their skills on the job, only occasionally through apprenticeships or formal welder training. Others employed in the industrial field have been educated in a variety of disciplines, but rarely in welding.For our industry to grow and prosper, individuals capable of becoming trained and qualified are needed for all job categories.
- Welding Career
- Among job candidates, there is a negative perception of welding trade. This is especially true of welding field, which have long struggled with an unpleasant and dangerous working conditions.Due to the misguided view many people hold towards any type of manual or skilled worker, parents and others who guide individuals toward a career choice are directing young people away from the welding, technical and construction fields and directing them toward white collar professions, many of which do not pay as much or offer the same employment opportunities.In truth, there are tremendous opportunities within manufacturing and present jobs in this sector are more demanding than ever of modern and developing skill sets.Each type and level of welding application has increased earnings potential for those who advance through various levels of supervision and management.Being successful in the welding fields requires only three things:
- Willingness to learn new techniques
- A good work ethic
- To not be afraid of handwork and getting dirty.
- A career in welding technology might be a great fit for you. Job opportunities are wide ranging. Some of the possibilities include working in fabrication shops, maintenance shops, steel erection operations, ship building yards or oil fields.You could even open your own shop and be your own boss.India has opportunities waiting for welding professionals like you all over the region in a variety of industries.The welding industry is a place where higher pay is possible.
The Fifteen Essentials
There is no better career path for yougsters than ‘welding’. Teaching welding theory is necessary and important, but job-ready welding skills are learned in the workshop, not in the classroom. Following are 15 important things to train beginner welder, to help them improve their skills and stay safe in the process.
- Make safety a first priority
- Know the material properties
- Understand the importance of filler metals
- Handle consumables properly
- Selection of correct electrode diameter
- Welding current
- Welding arc length and its effect
- Travel speed
- Electrode angles
- Cleanliness is critical
- Follow welding procedures
- Stay comfortable
- Visual inspection of welds
- Learn how to troubleshoot
- Maintenance makes a difference